Here at Bath & Unwind HQ we are loving The Konjac Sponge Company, that is like no other. We have been lucky enough to have an insight into the company and learn more about these phenomenal sponges. When we knew this brand would launch we were given a sponge to try, I was given the pink clay, for tired, devitalised skin. I instantly loved the packaging, I could feel that the sponge was very hard through the packet and it made me eager to read the instructions. As soon as I got home I couldn’t wait to try it out. I was not disappointed. Once soaked in water the sponge absorbs the water like, well a sponge! It softened and expanded, the texture was light and almost dough like. Using small circular motions on my cheeks, forehead, chin and nose, I could actually feel the vitamins and minerals releasing from inside the sponge and onto my face. Although it felt slightly slimy, it was a nice cleansing feeling, like after you have cleansed and moisturised but on wet skin. All I did following that was pat dry with a towel. My face didn’t feel tight or dried out and it continued to feel full of moisture and soft when I applied my makeup the next morning. I was instantly sold. So you can imagine my sheer excitement when we were told we would be learning all about Konjac and how it works.
Before you go any further lets just clear this up…
Konjac Kon-Jac, Noun
- A perennial aroid plant (Amorphophallus konjac) of East and Southeast Asia having a single large compound leaf, a purple or dark red spathe, and starchy corms.
- The edible corm of this plant or the starch derived from it, sometimes used as a dietary supplement. Also called In both senses also called devil’s tongue . Also called konnyaku. (pronunciation is very important, as I keep reminding everyone in the office)
What is Konjac and what does it do for the beauty industry?
Konjac is a plant native to tropical parts of Asia, found to grow at high altitudes. The root of this plant is where the journey from plant to sponge begins. Konjac is described as a vegetable and has many health benefits due to its high source of vitamins and minerals. It is naturally alkaline and therefore balancing the Ph levels in the skin. Konjac is 97% water so it is rich in minerals and low in calories helping the skin to be healthy (do not consume).
Benefits to you and our planet
- 100% natural vegetable fibre
- Packed with antioxidants and minerals
- Non- Toxic
- 100% free from impurities and pollutants
- Earth friendly
- 100% cruelty free and vegan friendly
- Naturally sustainable
- Environmentally safe
- Kind to the environment and skin
- 100% colour and additive free
The Sponge, The Skin and the Perfect Match
- Bamboo Charcoal – Packed with mineral-rich charcoal powder, this Konjac Sponge with Bamboo Charcoal cleanses deep into pores to eliminate blackheads and dirt whilst absorbing excess oils and toxins. A natural antioxidant, it kills stubborn acne-causing bacteria and is an effective treatment for spot-prone skin.
- Chamomile – This previously limited edition chamomile facial sponge turned out to be so popular Konjac had to include it in their permanent Konjac collection. For those who want to relieve angry, irritated and sensitive skin, Konjac and chamomile face puffs are perfect. Chamomile is known for ability to deal with dry, hot skin as it has anti-allergic properties.
- Green French Clay – The perfect facial sponge for combination and oily t-zone skin: This sponge with Green French Clay tightens pores, tones the complexion and revitalises damaged skin cells. Blended with the finest French clay, the sponge naturally draws out impurities and toxins to reveal a smoother, fresher complexion.
- Green Tea – Green tea extract is naturally packed with antioxidants, which have a cell-protecting function. It has strong antioxidant benefits that protect the skin from everyday damage. The natural ingredient softens and plumps to improve elasticity and refresh your skin’s appearance. This is particularly suitable for those who wish to protect the skin from ageing.
- Pink French Clay – Go skiing a lot? This sponge is essential for extreme weather, also air conditioning, excess sun exposure and central heating. Natural pink French clay gently purifies even the most sensitive skin and has a softening and plumping effect, improving elasticity and refreshing your skins appearance.
- Red French Clay – Rejuvenate and refine your skin with this cleansing Konjac Sponge. Laced with red French clay, the sponge helps to brighten dull complexions whilst reducing redness and uneven skin tone. This is a great addition to your skincare routine if you suffer with rosacea or psoriasis, as red clay softens and relieves irritation.
- 100% Pure Konjac – Ideal for all the family; 100% Pure Konjac Sponge deeply cleanses, removes blackheads and gently exfoliates the skin. Its unique net-like structure of the vegetable fibres helps to stimulate blood flow and promote skin cell renewal.
The cycle of your Konjac sponge
Before you purchase your sponge you might like to know some more interesting things about getting the most out of it.
Once your sponge arrives, it needs to be treated with care. It should last up to 3 months if the handled correctly.
- Soak in warm water until soft and sponge like
- Gently squeeze out the excess water, do not wring, this may call holes in the sponge
- Using a circular motion, cleanse the cheeks, forehead, nose and chin (if using an additional cleanser avoid the eyes)
- Rinse your sponge using warm or cold water and squeeze out excess water, again not ringing as it will increase the chances of holes
- Hang in a warm place to dry, I hang mine to the towel warmer but other opt for the airing cupboard. It must dry out in a warm place, as leaving in the shower will keep it damp and not lock in the vitamins for your next cleanse
- Repeat the process every time you use your sponge
- After three months, your sponge will probably be looking limp and a bit shrivelled up, but do not throw it away!
- Time to get green fingered, as your once skin saving sponge is 100% biodegradable and can make an excellent substitute to compost, so plant it in soil and let your favourite plant feel the benefits too
- Buy a new sponge and keep the cycle going!
The time experiment
I received my first sponge (pink clay) on April 25th 2017 I used it everyday and ensured I looked after it, it quickly became part of my daily routine. I thought it would be nice to give everyone a rough idea of how the sponge will look as time goes on and what not to worry about.
I want you to imagine these sponges as a herb leaves, let’s take basil for instance. When well hydrated, it looks full of life and the leaves look plump and fresh, but when left without water, it becomes limp and lifeless. The leaves become a darker shade of green and are shriveled, but amazingly, once watered they bounce back and look fresh and plump again. The same goes for your Konjac sponge.
When I received my second sponge (100% pure Konjac) I decided to do some comparison after three months.
So, by looking at the comparison, the difference is obvious. The 100% pure white sponge is perfectly round and looks new. However the pink clay is now smaller, slightly shrivelled and reassembles the limp and lifeless leaf effect I explained earlier. However, don’t be fearful of using your three month old sponge because much like the basil it will bounce back and it is still packed full of all those wonderful vitamins ready to cleanse and sooth your face.
After a good soaking in some warm water, you can see the pink clay has regained its youthful state and now looks plump and brighter. Although maybe slightly smaller than the brand new one it is definitely more appealing to use and of course can be!
I hope this has assured you that even at three moths and no matter how lifeless your sponge may look it will still be as good as new once soaked in water.
Our Konjac sponge top tip
Don’t forget your sponge can go on to feed your plants so don’t just throw it again. remember to keep the cycle going.
Simply half fill a pot with soil, add the Konjac sponge, add the the plant, fill in the gaps with soil and help you plant live a happy and healthy life.